Monday, August 31, 2009

DICE-K'S DICEY REHAB OUTING


It was a tale of two innings in Manchester, NH. Daisuke Matsuzaka allowed 5 runs off 4 hits and 3 walks for AA Portland yesterday. He bounced 8 sliders in the dirt, and threw 49 pitches. He was only slated to throw 55 pitches, but convinced the Portland coaches to give him an allowance of 10 pitches in the 2nd inning. He threw 9, and retired the side in order.

So is this good news, bad news, or what? Overall, the line score of 2 IP, 5 ER, 4 H, 3 BB looks dreadful. Although the 58 total pitches for 2 innings sounds about right for Daisuke.

After the game, Daisuke stated (via a translator):

"In the first inning, I think I got into the game at about 60-to-70 percent of maximum output for me. That’s how I was approaching it. There were a few things that I wanted to work on, and that’s why I wanted to get into the game gradually. Mind you, I didn’t think I’d get hit up quite that badly, but I think in the second inning I just applied a few of those things I worked on in the first."

If he's telling the truth, then I guess this rehab outing is somewhat positive. Then again, the Sox need him to throw more then 1 good inning a game. Then again, when was the last time Daisuke only needed 9 pitches to get through an inning?

Daisuke makes his next rehab start Thursday for AAA Pawtucket.

Source:
Boston Herald

Photo Credit:
AP Photo/Jim Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment